Americans spend more than 87% of their time indoors. As the new year begins, we want to challenge ourselves and our readers to live a more active and adventurous lifestyle.
We are proud to be a locally owned and operated business, and we hope that you will venture out to support other small businesses in our area this year. We live in an area that has a personality all of its own, offering something for the outdoor enthusiast as well as the artist at heart.
We used TripAdvisor to help select some of the most unique and exciting local must-do’s:
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival– This is a repertory theatre that has presented all 37 of Shakespeare’s plays more than 300 times. The theatrical season runs from February to November of each year and hosts more than 400,000 visitors per year.
- Go to Science Works Hands-On Museum– Founded in 2002 through a cooperative agreement between Kirlin Charitable Foundation and Southern Oregon University, their mission is “to inspire wonder and stimulate creative exploration through fun interactive science and the arts.” They have educated and entertained more than 100,000 visitors since opening.
- Mount Ashland-The highest peak in the Siskiyou Mountains of southern Oregon
- Take a Yoga or Massage Class
- Ashland Artisan Emporium-This collective marketplace houses over 180 local vendors within a 17,000 square foot facility
- Drink a Craft Beer at a local bar or brewery
- Go to a Winery or Vineyard-There are many to choose from in Southern Oregon wine country
- Visit the Historic Districts of Ashland-Francesca, owner of Bayberry Inn, gives a great rundown of the Ashland Railroad District in her blog post
- Valley of the Rogue State Park-Venture a little north for a day trip
- Oregon Vortex-An unusual trip for the lover of all things obscure. First found by the Native Americans and named “Forbidden Ground,” this area has been open to the public since 1930. You must go yourself to experience a natural phenomenon unlike any other. Visit the House of Mystery, height change, the Eddy Current Tube, and visit the Curios Shop.
- Have a Spa day at the Blue Giraffe-Voted Best Spa since 2005
- Schneider Museum of Art-This museum is a part of the Oregon Center for the Arts at SOU that is open to the public. Enjoy a free visit Monday through Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm or attend a tour on Tuesdays at 12:30 pm.
- Emigrant Lake
- See a show at Oregon Cabaret-Originally Ashland’s First Baptist Church, the building remained vacant for over a decade and was eventually painted pink. In 1982, Craig Hudson bought and began restoring the building. In 1986, the theatre opened with 30 performances. Now, the performers entertain 140 guests, six nights a week, year-round. While you’re there, be sure to try a piece of Dick Hay Pie.
Did we leave anything out? Let us know about your local experiences in the Ashland, Oregon area in the comments!
Most people have a list of New Year’s resolutions that include goals for health, wellness, and happier living. What better way to live happier than to live in a well taken care of home? Here are a few reminders of extra love and care you can put into your home this year:
Complete Unfinished Projects
In every home there are more than a few small things that we keep putting off, and 2019 is the year to get it done! Are any of these items on your “honey do” list?
- Replace the air filters
- Change the light bulbs
- Replace weather stripping
- Re-caulk windows
- Fix drawers/cabinets that won’t close
- Repair squeaky floors
- Clean your washing machine, dish washer, etc.
- Clean your rugs and curtains
- Clean the outside of your windows
- Repair or discard broken items
- Cash in your loose change
- Develop old film or cameras
- Tighten loose screws
- Polish or repair furniture scratches
- Mend torn clothes
- Clean out the dryer vent
- Test batteries in fire detectors
- Clean electronics
- Replace toothbrush
- Change your car oil. It might also be worth giving your car a clean using the Sensha Car Care Products
- Rotate your tires
- Grease squeaky hinges
Employ Organizational Systems
Keeping your home clutter free and organized is one of the most important aspects of having a clean and stress-free home. Developing and sticking to easy-to-use organizational systems can help your house stay clean year-round, alternatively you can look into storage San Francisco based so you’re able to keep your unwanted items you just can’t seem to let go of.
- Don’t let this household chore take over your life. Develop a laundry system that works for you and your family. This may mean an assigned laundry day for each person in your household or it could be as simple as having one dedicated laundry day a week.
- Everything in your home should have a place to be stored. If it doesn’t have a home, you may need to part with it. The average American home has more than 300,000 items. Reducing the amount of things in your home can be a freeing experience.
- You can set reminders on your calendar so that you remember these regular home maintenance and cleaning activities, or we can help you out by establishing a regular cleaning schedule.
- Daily-Laundry, dishes, disinfect frequent contact surfaces, clean up clutter
- Weekly-Change sheets, clean floors, clean out fridge, dust, wash bathroom rugs and towels
- Monthly- clean oven, clean trash bins, clean dishwasher and washing machine, clean fans
- With the changing of the seasons you should-wash comforters and pillows, Clean out the gutters, clean the outside of the windows, de-clutter, clean rugs and curtains, clean fireplace, clean air vents and covers
Make The Upgrade
This is the year to make the upgrades to your home that you’ve been talking about. Decide what’s been holding you back, make a plan, and attack the project! Whether it is an energy efficiency investment into your home or a large project like a kitchen remodel, commit to getting it done by December. If you’re puzzled and don’t know where to start, don’t be afraid to enlist help. For any of your home remodel projects, such as your kitchen, bathroom or living room, invest in an online interior design service like laurelandwolf.com to get the job done.
- Efficiency Upgrades
- Install a programmable thermostat
- Replace high energy appliances with more efficient versions
- Install new doors or windows. Not sure where to start looking? Majestic Designs Ltd have a wide range of windows to suit your individual style.
- Install a windmill or solar panels
- Get an energy audit by a certified inspector
- Install a rain water system
- Install automatic lights
- Landscape with energy-efficient plants and features
- Tips for Renovation Projects
- Plan ahead
- Find good help
- Don’t skip the prep
- Get all necessary permits
- Don’t overbuild for your neighborhood
- Decide how you are going to live during the remodel
- Expect bumps in the road
- Don’t cover old mistakes with new construction
If you need help creating a personalized list of things that need to be done around your home, we would love to help. Whatever is on your agenda for 2019, don’t forget to keep your home a priority.