Most people have a list of New Year’s resolutions that include goals for health, wellness, and happier living. What better way to live happier than to live in a well taken care of home? Here are a few reminders of extra love and care you can put into your home this year:
Complete Unfinished Projects
In every home there are more than a few small things that we keep putting off, and 2019 is the year to get it done! Are any of these items on your “honey do” list?
- Replace the air filters
- Change the light bulbs
- Replace weather stripping
- Re-caulk windows
- Fix drawers/cabinets that won’t close
- Repair squeaky floors
- Clean your washing machine, dish washer, etc.
- Clean your rugs and curtains
- Clean the outside of your windows
- Repair or discard broken items
- Cash in your loose change
- Develop old film or cameras
- Tighten loose screws
- Polish or repair furniture scratches
- Mend torn clothes
- Clean out the dryer vent
- Test batteries in fire detectors
- Clean electronics
- Replace toothbrush
- Change your car oil
- Rotate your tires
- Grease squeaky hinges
Employ Organizational Systems
Keeping your home clutter free and organized is one of the most important aspects of having a clean and stress-free home. Developing and sticking to easy-to-use organizational systems can help your house stay clean year-round.
- Don’t let this household chore take over your life. Develop a laundry system that works for you and your family. This may mean an assigned laundry day for each person in your household or it could be as simple as having one dedicated laundry day a week.
- Everything in your home should have a place to be stored. If it doesn’t have a home, you may need to part with it. The average American home has more than 300,000 items. Reducing the amount of things in your home can be a freeing experience.
- You can set reminders on your calendar so that you remember these regular home maintenance and cleaning activities, or we can help you out by establishing a regular cleaning schedule.
- Daily-Laundry, dishes, disinfect frequent contact surfaces, clean up clutter
- Weekly-Change sheets, clean floors, clean out fridge, dust, wash bathroom rugs and towels
- Monthly- clean oven, clean trash bins, clean dishwasher and washing machine, clean fans
- With the changing of the seasons you should-wash comforters and pillows, Clean out the gutters, clean the outside of the windows, de-clutter, clean rugs and curtains, clean fireplace, clean air vents and covers
Make The Upgrade
This is the year to make the upgrades to your home that you’ve been talking about. Decide what’s been holding you back, make a plan, and attack the project! Whether it is an energy efficiency investment into your home or a large project like a kitchen remodel, commit to getting it done by December.
- Efficiency Upgrades
- Install a programmable thermostat
- Replace high energy appliances with more efficient versions
- Install new doors or windows
- Install a windmill or solar panels
- Get an energy audit by a certified inspector
- Install a rain water system
- Install automatic lights
- Landscape with energy-efficient plants and features
- Tips for Renovation Projects
- Plan ahead
- Find good help
- Don’t skip the prep
- Get all necessary permits
- Don’t overbuild for your neighborhood
- Decide how you are going to live during the remodel
- Expect bumps in the road
- Don’t cover old mistakes with new construction
If you need help creating a personalized list of things that need to be done around your home, we would love to help. Whatever is on your agenda for 2019, don’t forget to keep your home a priority.