Save Time and Money with these Six Spring Cleaning Tips!
Kick start spring cleaning with these six easy cleaning tips. Your home will feel instantly fresh and clean, and YOU will be a Spring Cleaning Super Hero!
1. Cleaning Drapes and Blinds
Your drapes and blinds may look clean, but they can collect a surprising amount of dust, oil, pollution, smoke, pollen and bacteria. Yuck! Cleaning your window treatments regularly will help to remove grime and keep unwanted allergens at bay. Here’s how
Blinds – Use a cloth with BioKleen for an easy dust fighting solution.
Mix one to two capfuls of BioKleen with one gallon of water, and moisten your cloth with the solution. Clean blinds by wiping the cloth along both sides of the window slats to remove dust and buildup. Repeat the process on every slat until the dust is gone.
* This cleaning trick is safe for wood, plastic and metal surfaces
Drapes – Weekly care: gently shake drapes once a day and vacuum once a month to keep dirt and dust from lodging in the fabric.
Machine wash drapes using the short, gentle cycle. Use cool water and mild detergent and line dry or tumble dry on a delicate or air setting. Once draperies are dry, touch them up with your iron if necessary by pressing on the reverse side of the drapes.
* Have a professional cleaner dry-clean your drapes that are not washable. Check product labeling for directions for your drapes
2. Easy Pet hair removal
We all love our pets! Hey, they’re family right?! But they can leave truckloads of pet hair everywhere! Here’s a surprisingly quick and easy solution to remove pet hair from your furniture.
- Rubber gloves or latex gloves are great pet hair removers. Simply dampen the rubber glove and run your hand over the cloth surface to attract the pet hair and rinse gloves off as needed. If you don’t have rubber gloves handy, try a slightly wet rag instead. The glove will give you more control than a strip of tape and is far more effective, as gloves include Zinc Carbonate BPC, which is used as a layer to protect the rubber and give it its transparency. If you’re worried about moisture damaging your furniture, test this method on a small area before going at the whole couch! Be inspired with this how to video from Clean My Space
3. Cleaning refrigerator coils & pan pull out
Once a year, this maintenance chore will do more than any other to extend the life of your refrigerator and keep it operating efficiently all year.
- Unplug the refrigerator, and then move the unit away from the wall.
- Pull the drip pan out from under the refrigerator and empty it. Soak it in warm, sudsy water in the sink while you tend to the rest of the job.
- To clean the coils, remove the cover panel and gently vacuum the coils with a long-narrow vacuum attachment.
- Return the clean drip pan and cover back onto the refrigerator.
- Before you push the unit back into place, clean the wall behind the refrigerator and vacuum the floor where the dirt has fallen.
- Plug the refrigerator in and return it to its usual spot. Turn on the refrigerator and freezer. It should be cold within about 15 minutes.
If you have a fridge with a water dispenser built in, part of your regular maintenance should be checking the filter as they do need replacing from time to time. To help in the purchasing of a new one, use this review of some good options.
4. Cleaning the dishwasher
Learn how to clean your dishwasher with vinegar and baking soda to keep it running efficiently and smelling fresh! Check out Tidy Mom’s helpful step-by-step instructions. Your dishwasher leads right to your drain so if you neglect it, your drains will start to have a nasty odor. If it is neglected, you may need to call out a professional who knows all about drain cleaning Melbourne to come and take a look to make sure everything is functioning correctly. They might also give it a professional clean so you don’t have to smell last weeks dinner either!
Try a Natural enzyme drain cleaner! You can simply use a store bought or homemade disinfectant spray. Its powerful, enzyme-based formula will break down drain-clogging elements. This also helps prevent further clogs by removing years of buildup in your kitchen disposal and washing machine. Also try lemon peels in your garbage disposal, it will keep it running fresh and clean . . . naturally! If your drains are too clogged to manage by yourself then you can get a Tucson plumbing company in to help unblock them.
6. Give your garbage a shower
Cleaning the kitchen trash can is a household to-do that’s easily overlooked. Follow these quick and easy steps to better smelling garbage.
- Rinse Take your empty trash can outside and spray it with a hose. Right now, you’re just trying to remove big pieces of food and debris.
- Disinfect – If your trash can has only a slight odor, try spritzing vinegar onto the can, which will absorb the smell. For a trash cans with a stronger odor, use an enzyme-based cleaner. Whichever one you choose, be sure to spray the entire trash can, including the bottom and inside.
- Scrub and rinse. Scrub all areas of your trashcan using an all-natural cleanser such as Biokleen and then rinse thoroughly. Pat dry with a towel or if possible air-dry your trashcan outside in the sunlight to eradicate any remaining bacteria or mold.
There you go! Six super quick spring cleaning tips that are easy to do and will help to keep your home sparkling clean.
What are a few of your favorite spring cleaning tips?